Tuesday, June 17, 2008

My Tim Russert story

After taking early retirement from NBC News in 1990 , I took a job representing the interests of
technical employees in broadcasting.

At the time many of the NBC camera crews were complaining regularly to me about the long hours they were working with little relief. They insisted that I do something about it.

So I went over to NBC to meet with the newly hired Bureau Chief, Tim Russert. I walked into his office with a kind of sheepish grin on my face to make my complaint. He and I both knew that normally the guys love the overtime because of the extra money they earn.

So Tim's response was to chuckle at my predicament. But he did want to know all about me and my family and everything else including baseball. And as I left he said. " I have a meeting with the news staff tomorrow and I will take care of your problem

In the course of the meeting the next day with about 100 employees gathered in the newsroom Tim said the following: "Bud Pettway was in my office yesterday raising hell with me about the work load. We have to be more sensitive to this problem."

Of course they were not, but the camera crews all heard it and knew I had done my job. Tim, the consummate politician, made sure of that.

4 comments:

Ginnie said...

I'm sure his early death must have hit you hard, Bud. A great story and I'm so glad you're back blogging.

kenju said...

I will admit to never watching him, but from all I've read and seen lately, he must have been a heck of a good guy and well-liked.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Lovely story Bud...! He certainly knew how to win people over and it seems in a truly honest caring way...! He was quite a man, wasn't he?

I didn't realize you were back on your Blog, my dear....
I never know when you've come to visit me because you don't comment--You "LURKER" You"...lol!
Anyway, I'm glag you are back...
I wrote a little post a about Tim Russert as a tribute to him. I admired him greatly.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

So glad I inspired you, Bud. And glad to know you come on by and "read" my blog.