Wednesday, September 5, 2007

My Significant Other














We have been together for ten years. He feeds me, plays with me, holds me tight. I have the run of the house. The living room is a mess, dishes are piled high in the kitchen. But it's home, and it's mine, and I love it.

And then one day it all came crashing down. SHE moved in. With no warning at all, I found myself on the losing end of a menage a trois. The living room was tidied up. The dirty dishes dissapeared, it was awful. And worse, he had one of those cute lovey dovey names for her. I think it was Wacky.


Wacky did not like me at all. She would stare at me a lot and try to sweet talk me into moving out of my favorite spots. She had this Southern drawl that made Trent Lott sound like a Yankee. And a huge hangup about cat hair. She could spot one, and I mean one, from fifty yards--a white one. So I did my best to accommodate her. I left them everywhere, the living room couch, her favorite chair. I know it was passive aggressive, but I am a cat, I've been declawed--all I've got is passive aggressive.

Guess what. I was banned from the living room and the kitchen. My wandering days were over. And Wimpy, this man who was the love of my life, went along with it. Can you believe that!! And he has the nerve to call ME a pussycat!!

I don't recall how long this went on, it seemed like forever. And then one morning
SHE was gone. I don't know if it was a " me or the cat" situation . All I know is that the house is mine again, we are back together, and I am at peace.

One parting shot that I could not resist. Ten minutes after she left, I sent her an email. And it highlighted the picture you see above of me in repose on the living room couch.

This is what I wrote . " Dear Wacky, I can't tell you how much I miss you"

Yes, I know I'm a catty cat. But don't you just love happy endings?

Thanks for listening.

Scruffy

5 comments:

kenju said...

scruffy, you're SO handsome!

Ginnie said...

Well, Scruffy, aren't you the devious one? I've noticed that passive aggressive trait in your owner, too. I wonder who taught who?

Anonymous said...

Fun said:
oh my god!!!!!! I have not laughed that hard in soooooo long! That was the best--the best!!!! you are so funny! I love it- i am going to read it again so can laugh some more. thank you so much---i love cats, kittens, anything that purrs!

flleenie said...

Intriguing narrative.

I love animals. My bff is a cat person & I am a dog person, so we get the best of both worlds.

Pet's are awesome, unconditional love, can't beat it!

Anonymous said...

Hi Dadio,
Loved the story. I'm so glad you got you priorities straight- hee hee,
Love
Joey