Sunday, August 26, 2007

People who need People

Remember that Streisand song? Maybe I'm being a bit syrupy-but this is what Pinehurt golf is all about for me. The people that I meet. They come here from all over the world to play. And many come back to retire.

Competive golf is not for me. And I do not play with a regular group. I reserve a tee time every day and show up to see who I am playing with. I am never dissapointed.

The wonderful thing about Pinehurst golf is that it is very affordable for members. So we have retired school teachers, fireman, CEOs, people from all walks of life. And they all have a story.

Today it was a wonderful old couple I had never met who happened to be neighbors. And each had been previously married for fifty years. Together, they had 105 years of marriage.

One day I played with a member who modestly told me he was a fireman. He was in fact the number two Fire Chief for the Borough of Manhattan. He was there for 9/11 and told me many stories. Another time I played with a retired Secret Service Agent who was assigned to protect Bush 41.

Sometimes it's a celebrity of sorts. Remember Hal Lindon, the actor? He played a detective on TV for many years . Barney somebody. A nice guy, good golfer, we had a great time. And a couple of months ago I played golf with a United States Congressman.

Most of the time one or two players show up whom I have known for years. It's kind of like a coffee klatch. We kid each other, laugh a lot, and talk about everything. Over the years I have made hundreds of friends here. I love it.

And from time to time there are some very pleasant distractions. One day it was three lovely ladies whose husbands were playing in a tournament. We had a great time and they invited me to play with them the next two days. On the third day I heard one gal on the phone with her husband. She said "Boytoy" is with us again". You should be so lucky.

Finally, I must tell you about Bambi. I've forgotten her real name but Bambi fits.
One day I'm ready to tee off all by my lonesome when this blonde bombshell shows up on the first tee. She is dressed like one of those Hooters girls. Well somebody has to do it. So off we go down the fairway. She tells me that she is grieving over a busted romance and came here to get away from it all. Who better to help with her grief.

So we get to the first green and I am trying to make a 40 foot putt. As the ball rolled towards the hole, she started yelling "go in for Bud, go in for Bud". I'm not making this up. Is that sweet or not? I have no idea if the ball went in the cup. I can tell you that I was hopelessly in love before it stopped rolling.

Now these May-December things are fragile at best, and rarely last. This one did--for three holes. Our moment came as we were sharing our mutual love of music. We were in this beautiful setting, Carolina blue sky, birds tweeting and all that--when she uttered the words that will live with me forever. "Who is Frank Sinatra?"

Can you feel my pain?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bud, you are truly a golfer's golfer! I have enjoyed our rounds together! Steve