Monday, August 13, 2007

Tis not about golf!!




My readership has skyrocketed in the last several weeks. And I want to thank both of you. Neither of you golf, and one of you has asked what it is that I do when I am not out there. My right eye starts to twitch when I get off golf, but I will give it a try.

My day always starts the same way. Coffee, and the Internet. I'm a News junkie. The New York Times always get me going with their liberal bias. That's followed by the Washington Post and several others. Then, the fun part, surfing the internet for Pinehurst memorabilia.

I am very much into Pinehurst history and the memorabilia associated with it. And Ebay is where I find a lot of it.

I have acquired many photographs of the area dating back to the early 1900s. Lots of picture postcards from the 20s and 30s. A wonderful Pinehurst brochure, 60 pages with as many photographs, dated 1914. Full page color advertisements for Pinehurst taken from Country Magazine, the magazine for the elite, taken in 1912.

I have acquired two Putterboy statues, solid bronze replicas of the famous one in front of the Pinehurst country club. They are hard to find, but you can buy one at Burchfields in the village for $1950.00. Mine were acquired for a fraction of that and one is now on consignment at Burchfields.

Music is a love of mine. I play the piano and the guitar. The piano is hooked up to my computer, allowing me to play along with the legends, particulalry my favorite, Earle Garner. I think I have every album he ever recorded. Garner is a gifted pianist who can't read a note. I can't read a note either--but gifted I ain't.

Recently, I discovered karaoke. So I had to make a disc of me singing Mac the Knife, and sent it to my kids. I do this stuff for laughs and the kids know its coming.

Then there is photography. I have a Mac computer, the best I think if you are into music and photography. There are currently 2,395 photographs stored in it. My camera goes everywhere with me.

I'm currently into gardening big time. Transplanted over 30 bushes this spring and summer, and the golf course side of my house is festooned with all kinds of petunias, maragolds, geraniums.

I have a book going most of the time. Currently, its The Kite Runner. Most of what I read falls into the suspense catagory, Grisham, Baldacci, Patterson etc. In non fiction one of the best I have read lately is "The World is Flat" by Thomas Friedman.

Then there are the AA meetings, celebrated 30 years of sobriety last week, movies, the beach, dining out, love to dance, all that stuff. Except for the beach, have no interest in travel. Been there, done that.

So thats the short version of live today--and I love it!!

3 comments:

Ginnie said...

I have never been bitten by the "golf bug"....can't understand the allure...so I guess I'm at the top of the list that is shouting..."GET A LIFE, Puttrboy!"

Please don't leave us hanging like this...what else do you do all day?

Anonymous said...

We miss you lots and this is such a wonderful way to hear what's going on in your life. Still laughing about the coffee - Mom would have told that story a hundred times! I will send the link to Tom and Tommy - Tom is saying he's going to get serious about golf again and maybe this will get him started. You must write about how you became such an AWESOME golfer - so we can all have hope.

Anonymous said...

Oh my God....and I thought "I" was the only one that cleaned for the cleaning lady. She comes tomorrow, which means I need to get moving.
Would love to see a photo here of your "significant other." I bet she's a sweetie.